Things to Consider When Choosing a Dog Massager
There are a few things you’ll want to know before selecting a massager for your pup.
Why Does Your Dog Need a Massage?
One question you may have is why a massager is necessary in the first place. Massage is a powerful tool that humans have used to provide relaxation and relief for centuries. Just as humans can benefit from a massage, so can dogs. The benefits of massage include:
Increased blood flow
Lower blood pressure
Reduces stress and anxiety
Reduces pain and swelling
Helps you bond with your pet
Massaging your dog daily serves as a great bonding exercise between you and your pet. Since massage is such a good tool for reducing stress and anxiety, massage can be particularly helpful in times where your dog is feeling anxious, like when there are fireworks or a thunderstorm.
Where to Massage Your Dog
Depending on what your dog likes and dislikes, they’ll help answer this question for you. Most dogs love a good massage just about everywhere. But, some areas can be particularly helpful to massage, especially if your dog is older, or suffering from a condition which causes inflammation.
Massaging your dog’s joint areas, such as their shoulders and hips can work wonders to help reduce pain and inflammation. The back and chest are also areas where most dogs love to get a good massage. Also, most dogs love a good massage on their head and scalp as well.
How to Massage Your Dog
When it comes time to massage your dog, you’ll want to apply enough pressure to provide your dog with a soothing experience. But, be sure not to apply so much pressure that the massage becomes uncomfortable for your dog.
Take special care with dogs that are elderly, or are experiencing pain in their joints or muscles. In these cases, a light massage can usually provide great relief. But, a massage that’s too forceful can end up hurting the dog.
Best Overall – PetWell All Over Handheld Massager
- Provides soothing relief at home, on the road while traveling or just simply on the go by stimulating blood flow to muscles and joints and enhancing important pet-to-owner bonding
- Roller allows for long or short strokes for a customized total-body massage for small and large pets leaving them feeling more relaxed and happy
- The smooth rolling motion stimulates blood flow to muscles and joints, helping with pain relief from arthritis and inflammation, especially in aging pets
- The ergonomic, sure-grip handle offers a quick-release function for easy cleaning and fur removal
- Massaging effect of the roller helps release endorphins and enhances for all size dogs and cats or any other furry pets